Macau, as a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People’s Republic of China, enjoys numerous advantages, creating an ideal environment for businesses to operate. Macau is known as a SAR because it has its own legal, monetary, customs, legislative and economic systems. Macau’s low tax rates, stable financial system, geographical position and business friendly environment make it an ideal place for businesses to setup.
If you are considering moving your business operations or staring a new business in Macau, our experts are well equipped to assist you throughout the entire process. Our team will introduce you to the various entities available and provide you with the knowledge you need in order to make an informed decision on the type of business structure that will best suite your business needs.
Types of Business Structures in Macau
- An incorporated company;
- Sole proprietorship;
- Representative office; and
- Branch office.
Incorporated Companies in Macau
There are various types of incorporated company structures available in Macau, such as:
Macau Limited Company
This is the most common form of entity chosen by foreigners in Macau and needs to meet the following requirements:
- At least 1 shareholder;
- At least 1 officer (same functions as a director);
- Each shareholder is to receive shares equal to the amount of capital contributed; and
- Prescribed minimum registered capital is MOP 25,000 ($3,130).
With a Limited Company in Macau the amount of liability is limited to the amount of capital contributed. This type of entity is often used, because there is no limitation on the maximum share capital and you do not need to be a resident of Macau. This type of entity is restricted to a maximum number of 30 shareholders.
The name of a company registered under this type of structure is required to end in “(L.D.A)” which shows it’s a Limited Company. If the company only has 1 shareholder, the name of the company is required to end in “Sociedade Unipessoal Lda.”, which translates to ‘one man limited’.
Macau Holdings Company
A Macau Holdings Company provides a more structured type of entity than that of a limited company. This type of entity is beneficial for larger companies. The Macau holdings company entity has the following requirements:
- Minimum of 3 shareholders;
- Minimum of 3 directors (same functions as a director);
- Prescribed minimum registered capital is MOP 1,000,000 ($125,200);
- Value of each share should not be less than HK$100; and
- A company secretary is required.
Unlike a Limited Company, in a Holdings Company the company must be divided into equal shares and the liability of a shareholder will be limited to their amount of shares.
There are 3 kinds of Mixed Liability Companies each with its own requirements, namely:
- Mixed Liability Company – at least 1 limited liability partner and 1 unlimited liability partner is required.
- Mixed Liability Company by shares – at least 1 limited liability partner and 3 limited liability partners are required. The prescribed minimum registered capital is MOP 1,000,000 ($125,200).
- Mixed Holdings Company – at least 1 limited liability partner is required and 1 unlimited liability partner is required. The prescribed minimum registered capital is MOP 1,000,000 ($125,200).
Unlimited Liability Company
For this type of business structure at least 2 shareholders are required and there is no prescribed minimum amount of registered capital. An Unlimited Liability company is required to bear the words (S.N.C)
Procedure for Registering a business in Macau
The following process should be followed in order to register a company in Macau:
- Name and business scope – request and obtain a firm name availability certificate from the Business Registry and provide a description of the full scope of business activities to be conducted.
- Memorandum and Articles of Association – the Memorandum and Articles of Association (AoA) must be drafted, signed and notarized within 60 days of the firm certificate being issued.
- Initiation of activity – a declaration of initiation of activity, also known as an M1 form, must be submitted at the Macau Finance Services Bureau.
- Registration Completion – in order to complete the business registration of a company in Macau a list of the required documents is to be submitted to the Business Registry within 15 days after the notarization of AoA.
INS Global in Macau
If you are thinking of taking your enterprise to Macau, INS Global’s experts are able to assist your enterprise with the entire company registration process. As one of the leading HR consultancies in Asia, we are able to provide you with the necessary information you need, as well as assist with all the administrative work involved in the business registration process. Our team also has a diverse range of expertise in all fields of HR, such as recruitment, invoicing and PEO Solutions. Contact us today and let us assist your company with all its human resource needs.