Well known for its Kangaroos, Koalas and breath-taking natural scenery, Australia offers much more than that. As an important mineral resources producer and exporter, Australia has depended on the export of agricultural products and mineral resources to earn a large portion of its income. It is also a popular travel destination for people around the world. Additionally, with the development of the service industry and technology, Australia is at the top of the list for talents to come to work and companies to develop their businesses. No matter the purpose you plan to travel to Australia for, you should make sure that you get the legal and appropriate visa to enter the country.
Types of Work Visas for Australia
Aided by the dynamic private sector and the skilled workforce, Australia’s powerful economic performance has experienced significant economic growth, which makes the economy much more competitive than others. Because of the reliable economy and other attractive benefits of working in Australia, like the low unemployment rate, affordable housing, multicultural, diversified, and accepting society, it has attracted a lot of workers from abroad. Here, we’ve summarized the different types of working visa you will need if you intend to work in Australia.
There are two main categories of work visas in Australia, namely temporary and permanent visas.
Skilled Migration Visa
It is designed for foreign skilled talents who meet the required criteria and possess the skills needed by the Australian labor market.
Common Skilled Migration Visas:
- Skilled-Independent visa
- Skilled-Nominated visa
- Skilled Regional visa
Nominated/Sponsored Work Visas
These two visas are for foreign individuals who meet the criteria and are sponsored or nominated by a recognized Australian employer, a territory or state authority, or a government agency of a state or territory.
Common Sponsored or Nominated Visas:
- Temporary work visa
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa
- Employer Nomination Scheme visa
Working Holiday Visa
This visa is designed for foreigners between the ages of 18 and 31 who are coming from countries with a reciprocal partnership with Australia to work whilst traveling around Australia.
How to Apply for a Work Visa in Australia
Skilled Migration Visa
- You should submit the online Expression of Interest (EOI) on SkillSelect;
- The SkillSelect system will select the profiles according to the points they received in the age, education, skills, language proficiency, and so on;
- The Australian state, territory or employer will nominate the selected one to apply for the visa.
Nominated/Sponsored Work Visas
The precondition for applying for this type of visa is that you must be sponsored by an approved business employer.
- You may submit the application for a sponsored visa if your employer has lodged an application to nominate or sponsor you;
- Once your employer confirms the visa mentioning your nomination Transaction Reference Number (TRN) or Application ID, you can lodge the application online.
Working Holiday Visa
If you want to apply for the working holiday visa, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- You previously have not been to Australia on a working holiday visa;
- You must have a valid passport from a country which has been included in this program with Australia;
- You should have enough money to support yourself during your working holiday period and enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay in Australia;
- You should be a visitor who just wants to travel and experience the local Australian culture and cannot be accompanied by dependent children during your stay.
Types of Business Visas for Australia
As previously mentioned, strong economic performance, the stable labor market, and the satisfying living conditions are all reasons for foreigners coming to work in Australia. A thriving and flourishing atmosphere is also a driving force for attracting businesses from abroad to expand their business landscape and invest in Australia. In order to encourage and appeal to more successful business elites to come, the Australian Business Visa Program came into existence.
The business visa can be divided into two main categories: A provisional one and a permanent one. They are further divided into the following 4 types:
Business Visitor Visa-Provisional
This type of visa is designed for businessmen who wish to visit Australia for business purposes. Usually, business activities can be classified as the following, for the purpose of:
- Attending the industries’ seminars, summit meetings, trade fairs, etc.;
- Participating in activities which is official government-to-government business;
- Dealing with general business and employment enquiries;
- Investigating, discussing, signing and reviewing business contracts;
A business visitor visa might be different, depending on the country an applicant is coming from. Travelers from Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) eligible countries can apply for the ETA visa , travelers from EVV eligible countries can apply for the EVV visa（E Visitor）， and travelers neither from non-ETA eligible countries nor non-EVV eligible countries are required to submit the paper-based visa application for the visitor visa. The period of validity of these three types of visitor visas varies from 3 months to 12 months.
Business Innovation Stream Visa: Provisional
This visa is a temporary business skills visa which allows business elites to own a start-up or existing business in Australia. The validity is 4 years and the holders might be eligible to apply for the permanent visa if they meet the obligations of their temporary one for at least 2 years.
Basic Requirements for applying the Business Innovation Stream Visa:
- Be a successful business owner under the age of 55;
- Demonstrate a strong business career with great turnover and a commitment to managing a business in Australia;
- Submit your detailed business proposal and prove that you may have sufficient assets to develop in Australia when you apply for the visa;
- Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and score at least 65 on the innovation points test.
The Australian Business Innovation Stream Visa is a temporary one which is valid for up to 4 years and allows the holder to own a business in Australia. Their immediate family members (like spouses, dependent children) included in the application can be entitled to live, study, and work in Australia as well. Once satisfying the requirements, the applicants can have the right to apply for the permanent visa under the business innovation and investment visa category which might require sponsorship from a participating state or territory government.
Business Investor Stream Visa: Provisional
This is a temporary business skills visa which allows business elites to invest in a start-up or existing business in Australia. The validity period is 4 years and successful applicants can apply for the permanent visa after they meet the obligations of their temporary one.
Basic Requirements for applying the Business Investor Stream Visa:
- Be a successful businessman or investor under the age of 45;
- Demonstrate a reliable and successful record of investment in a qualified investment;
- Prove that you may have sufficient assets to develop in Australia;
- Make a significant designated investment in Australia ahead of the granting of your visa;
- Lodge an EOI and the innovation points test should be scored at least 65.
The Australian Business Investor Stream Visa allows the holder to invest in a business in Australia. Their immediate family members (like spouses and dependent children) included in the application can be entitled to live, study, and work in Australia as well. Once satisfying the requirements, the applicants have the right to apply for the permanent visa under the business innovation and investment visa category, which might require sponsorship from a participating state or territory government.
Business Talent Visa: Permanent
It is a permanent business skills visa which permits the highest calibre of business owners to contribute to the success of a start-up or existing business in Australia. Moreover, this visa needs the sponsorship from the state or territory government.
Basic Requirements for applying the Business Talent Visa:
- you should be a top business elite under the age of 55 and be sponsored by a state or territory government;
- you should demonstrate you have a successful business career and your main business can create a minimum turnover of AUD$3,000,000 for at least 2 of the preceding 4 years;
- you should submit a detailed business proposal and prove that you have sufficient assets to develop in Australia when you apply for the visa.
It is a permanent visa, so once the applicants obtain this visa successfully, they will be the permanent residents in Australia and have the rights to live, study, and work in the country. In addition, they can also possess other welfare benefits like medicare, social security benefits, and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.
How INS Global Can Help You
As one of the most reputable Global PEOs in Australia, INS Global is ready to offer you effective HR solutions. We are a well-equipped HR consultancy which can help you hire people in Australia with no need for establishing a foreign entity. No matter if you are a small group or a transnational enterprise, our professional consultants are able to assist you in obtaining the correct permits you need to work or do business in Australia. Fill in the following basic information sheet and we will contact you.